My Adventure-a-Week series is a challenge I’ve set for myself to have one or more tiny adventures every week that fit within my daily life. Adventure is often thought of as something big and grand, but opportunities for adventure in everyday life are all around us. This is my test of that theory.
The adventures I had planned for this week fell through, so when Friday arrived and I still didn’t have anything, the pressure was on. Then I found out that a coworker’s band was playing only a few miles from the house. What better time to see what this whole winter biking thing is all about?
Tips for riding in the snow:
- Keep your tire pressure on the low side for more traction.
- Ride slowly.
- Keep your weight on the back wheel
- Keep moving. Centrifugal force is keeping you upright
- Just like in a car, keep the wheels straight over slippery stuff. If the tires slip they’ll continue going in the same direction.
- Also just like in a car, don’t lock up the wheels when you brake.
- As a newbie, I just rode in my boots and didn’t clip in. There was a lot of peace of mind knowing that I could put a foot down if needed.