- The city’s first designated “bicycle boulevard” has been opened on 40th St and we decided to check it out. According to the website, a bicycle boulevard is defined as “ It’s designed so that in many places bikes can get through and cars can’t. We had a whole road mostly to ourselves and were able to ride across town without dealing with many cars. Pretty cool.
- The bike boulevard took us within a block of the nephews, so we had to stop in and say hi.
- Next stop: Sebastian Joe’s to pick up some of the best ice cream in town. We were in luck, they had both Strawberry Rhubarb and Nicollet Pothole flavors up today. *yum*
- Ice cream in the bag, we headed over to join some friends who had been doing some serious backyard work all day. The ice cream was a hit, followed by some digging, sledge hammering, and tamping.
- Hopped on the greenway and headed home.
We were out for 4 or 5 hours, 14 miles total, and we got everywhere we needed to go without dealing with crazy traffic or busy roads. Between bike lanes, a bike boulevard, and the designated bike path that is the greenway (totally separate from roads), nights like this make me really appreciate what Minneapolis has to offer for cyclists. We’ve got it good here!
I love evenings like this. We left the house with our bikes to get some burgers and that was so much fun that we ended up riding all over town. Finding new ways to get around is always interesting, and taking out the bike always feels like a fun adventure. 🙂