How to have a whirlwind weekend birthday adventure, in 20 easy steps: First, find cheap plane tickets to Denver. When the weekend arrives…..
- Wake up at 3am, drive to airport.
- Catch a 6am flight to Denver.
- Once in Denver, hop on a bus to pick up your car rental, a 1996 Honda Accord from a nice gentleman you found through RelayRides.
- Drive to Boulder, have breakfast, fill up water and pick up snacks.
- Head to the Flatirons parking lot. Cover the car windows and change in the backseat.
- Climb a flatiron. We went with the First Flatiron, via the North Arete route. Perfect weather and forecast, started early afternoon, finished early evening (I led all four pitches, and felt great!).
- Head back to the car, then out for dinner.
- Drive to Golden, set up camp in the dark at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds.
- Fall asleep in about 3 seconds.
- Drive into Golden for breakfast, then back to the campground to check in, because you got in too late the night before to do so.
- Head back up to Boulder. Downgrade climbing plans to account for a late start… due to the aforementioned need to check in at the campground.
- Hike up to the second flatiron, realize you’re completely exhausted from the day before. Also realize that you’re 5,000 ft. higher in elevation than you were 24 hours prior.
- Rack up, climb two pitches, decide that’s good enough. Stop for lunch, enjoy the views. Exit off the side. Hike back to the car.
- Head straight for ice cream in Boulder. Make sure to get sprinkles. Use your first aid kit to fix up a kid who put a gash in his leg.
- Drive back to Golden, change in a gas station bathroom. Attempt to make hair look presentable.
- Meet up with friends (who don’t care what your hair looks like) for drinks. Be reminded, once again, that you’re over 5,000 ft above sea level when the alcohol hits you hard. Enjoy a fun evening with great people.
- Crash at campsite.
- Wake up at 5am, pack up camp, make your way to the airport.
- Fly home, stop home for a quick shower, and go to work.
- Fall asleep on the couch at 8pm.
Birthday weekend complete!